Top Ten Reasons why you need the Enneagram in your Life
by Veronica Croft
Ten ways the Enneagram will change your life.
Ok – I admit that I’m a bit biased, but if you’re looking to have your life changed for the better, in every single way, then you need to get friendly with the Enneagram. And here are just ten reasons why…
- The Enneagram shows you what is amazing about you. And trust me, there is plenty. It clearly illuminates your intrinsic gifts and your place in the world. It unravels all aspects of human behaviour in profound ways that psychology can’t. Whereas psychology often tells you what is wrong with you the Enneagram tells you what is really great about you. And who doesn’t want that?!
- It increases confidence and self-esteem. Feeling really good about yourself is vital if you are to experience lasting happiness. And we’re not talking egotistical showing off. I mean real self-acceptance and self-value. Through the Enneagram you discover and understand your true deeper self without self-criticism and discover how to rise above the things that hold you back.
- The Enneagram shows you: what motivates you, what matters most to you and why; what you are unconsciously seeking and what you need to focus on for your personal and spiritual growth. You might think you know this already, or that it’s the same for you as it is for everyone else (which it isn’t), but this is personal self-knowledge. Without real self-understanding we don’t get very far on our personal or spiritual journey, nor can we sustain whatever progress we have made. Until we can let go of our self-defeating patterns we will always find ourselves slipping back into our old ways. Have you noticed that happens to you sometimes? It’s not your fault – it happens to most of us - but this sort of self-knowledge is real power.
- You begin to attract healthy relationships. Have you had a pattern of unsatisfactory or painful personal relationships? Then it’s time to take a good look at yourself. Yes, you! I know that doesn’t sound much fun, but the Enneagram gently and positively guides you towards becoming your best, most amazing self. And when you are living from the best side of your personality you cannot help but attract people who are a reflection of your improved self.
- Working with the Enneagram improves ALL relationships. Yes. Every single one of them – life partners, family, friends and work colleagues. The Enneagram sheds light on relationship values, expectations, communication and even argument styles. It unravels the differences between people - our different thinking and decision patterns as well as our differing ways of resolving conflicts. It makes sense of each person’s fears, defenses and reactive patterns - in fact, just about all the complex elements that affect relationships make sense through the Enneagram.
- It enables you to be a better parent. All parents want the best for their children but each of the nine types has different core needs and inner drives. The Enneagram will give you real understanding of the differences between the personalities of parents and each child, helping you find solutions to everyday problems that really work.
- Make the world a better place. Yes, it sounds like a dream – but it’s true! The Enneagram was taught in ancient civilisations but it is as relevant now as it was then. Life may have changed out of all recognition, yet the way the Enneagram can help us today makes this wonderful knowledge one of the most important ways for humanity to move forward and thrive – for us as individuals and for the whole world. It brings about balance within our lives, compassion for others and has the potential to heal nations.
- It equips you with the tools to bring about great change in your life. Working with the Enneagram guides you along the journey of growth that will move you out of a place of negativity and so that you live your life through positivity.
- The Enneagram is of enormous value in the workplace, whether you are an employee or the boss. It illuminates each individual’s natural strengths as well as their blindspots, explains the different perspectives that cause conflict, can be used to improve team work, facilitates the giving of more effective feedback and much more.
- This is very different from other self-help work. Very few books and courses that offer self-development programs take into account the fact that there are many different types of people. Telling some types to focus more on their feelings is like throwing water over a drowning man! Telling other types that they need to be more assertive is as likely to be effective as pushing against a brick wall! The Enneagram focuses on each individual type of person and guides you towards what you truly need.